Thursday, March 31, 2005

That other inspirational quintet from Champaign, Illinois

With the success of the the University of Illinois men’s basketball team, these are heady days in Champaign, IL. There hasn’t been this much excitement in the college town since the heyday of another famous quintet:

a group of men whose charisma and quality play also inspired legions of loyal fans.

a group of men who kept pushin’, who kept the fire burnin’

a group like no other, but for maybe Styx, Journey and Foreigner.

Yes, we are talking about the legendary heartland heroes, chart champions and pride of central Illinois, REO Speedwagon.

How, say you, are the hip hoopsters like the bushy-haired, tight-pants wearing songsmiths of yore? Well, for starters, the arrival of coach Bruce Weber to campus was akin to Kevin Cronin rejoining the band.

That’s to say, there was some initial getting used to each other, feuds even. Sort of like the one between rockin’ guitar god Gary Richrath and Cronin over control of the band, but more than likely without the cocaine, booze and perms.

But once everybody learned their place in the system, the team, like the band, began making beautiful music together, orchestrating power ballads on the court much like Cronin brought to REO. The team learned that while there is me, tea, and meat in team, there is no I, though there are two I’s in Illini -- much as REO learned that you can tune a piano but you can’t tuna fish.

Sure, there was one lonely night for the Illini this season, that bus ride home from Ohio State. But they worked it out. Had no doubt. There was no jealousy on this team, not intoleration. Just time for them to fly.

As REO did in that fateful Rocky Mountain Winter, the Illini were ridin’ the storm out against Arizona, and they knew to keep pushin’.

Deron Williams, you’re team was under the gun, so you took it on on the run, baby.

Dee Brown, Luther Head the good times you’ve had together are just about through. But you’re back on the road again, the road to the Final Four.

You are about to make the break that we are on the brink of, to turn some pages (as we assume you all do on study breaks); to roll with the changes, James Augustine.

For us fans, we don’t want to eat, we don’t want to sleep. We just want to keep on lovin’ U of I.

So everybody, here’s what I want you to do before the Louisville game Saturday. Sure, you gotta have on any and every piece of orange clothing you can find. But you also have to raise your Bic lighters high in the air, and just as the team takes the court sing along with Kevin in that distinctively Midwestern nasal voice of his (or, better yet, get Bill Murray to adjust the words):

I can’t fight this feeling any longer
And yet I’m still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship, has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show

I tell myself that I can’t hold out forever
I said there is no reason for my fear
Cause I feel so secure when we’re together
You give my life direction
You make everything so clear

And even as I wander
I’m keeping you in sight
You’re a candle in the window
On a cold, dark winter’s night
And I’m getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I started fighting for
It’s time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

Cause I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can’t fight this feeling anymore

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
I’ve been running round in circles in my mind
And it always seems that I’m following you, girl
Cause you take me to the places that alone I’d never find

And even as I wander I’m keeping you in sight
You’re a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter’s night
And I’m getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I started fighting for
It’s time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

Cause I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crushing through your door
Baby, I can’t fight this feeling anymore.

1 Comments:

At 3:46 PM , Blogger PennyR said...

Stop! You're scaring me!!!!!

I think my lame class actually voted "Roll with the Changes" as our class theme song, back in 81....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home