Sunday, January 27, 2008

Good night, Irene: A death in the family

The following note is the last one sent by my cousin Tracy, who has been updating friends and family about her mom's battles with getting a new heart.

She got the heart this past fall, after being on a wait list for about a year. Things seemed to be going well, but took a turn for the worst after Christmas.

She died over the weekend.

Here is the note:

Always as I prepared myself to send an "Irene" update to family and friends, I would come before my computer and allow myself to share the daily experiences I had with Ma.  I would, to the best of my ability, try to convey appropriately what she was facing, what was being done for her with medicine, and even share small personal things about her and our family. 
 
This past Thursday evening, we had received some discouraging news about her legs due to the lack of circulation as a result of the pressor medications she was on.  Obviously, things weren't looking ideal for a healthy recovery.  Several times I had thought about sharing this news, but I couldn't embrace what was happening.  Maybe I was thinking things would turn around -- as they often have.
 
Friday morning came and we had a family conference with the heart failure team.  They gave us encouragement based on labwork and adding some new things to her treatment.  For a short while, maybe some of us were optimistic, but our optimism was short lived because Ma was ceasing to communicate and her responses to us were weak if at all.  Her pulse gradually slowed during the day. 
 
Shortly after midnight on Saturday morning, Irene coded, but with the support of medical personnel was brought back.  With a blood pressure and pulse, we met again as a family more realistic and talked about our options. 
 
Just after 8:30 a.m. this morning, surrounded by her family -- Irene left us.  She was without pain and at peace.  She clearly waged the most ultimate of battles to fight, to live, to be with my Dad and us... her children.  It seems; however, the Lord had another plan. 
 
As I struggle to understand her great suffering these last couple of months since transplant, I am also comforted by the fact that her rewards will be great for all of eternity.  Oh, how lucky Heaven is today.
 
I had never really thought that her story would end this way.  We have been given SO much and she had fought back from so much, I became too comfortable expecting miracles.  But her tale of strength and will is a beautiful story -- a profound legacy. 
 
As far as her cruising along hoping to gain altitude, I think this is what may have happened.  Sweet Irene charged the cockpit door and took over the controls.  She pulled that plane straight up and has disappeared into the heavens leaving her spirit indelibly marked in our hearts. 
 
Our deep gratitude for ALL the thoughts, sentiments and prayers for this one-of-a-kind woman.  She was and always will be THE most amazing woman I know.  It has been my privilege and honor to love her, care for her, share her story... and be called her daughter. 
 
Irene Bernardi Danahey
September 24, 1939 - January 26, 2008
 
With deep love and regards,
 
Tracy

1 Comments:

At 10:19 AM , Blogger Star Lawrence said...

I am sorry to hear about your mother. This may not be an appropriate place to comment, but you list no email.

Why is this called Detached Retina blog? Come visit my site on facedown recovery if you feel like it.
http://facedownrecoveryfromretinalsurgery.blogspot.com.

Also--you can TOO make money writing, you just have to keep a sense of humor...come to:
http://writerscatablog.com.

Cheers and good thoughts at this hard time,

Star Lawrence

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home